The EU settlement scheme is designed to offer EU, non-EU EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members living in the UK before the end of the transition period (during which free movement continues) the opportunity to protect their residence in the UK after the transition period has ended. The deadline to apply is set at 30 June 2021.
For more information on the details of the scheme and how it works, follow this link to our previous article: A Clearance Of The Past? – How Can You Benefit From the EU Settlement Scheme?
Risk of falling behind!
Some people are at risk of being left behind from the scheme for a variety of reasons. Missing the deadline to the EU Settlement Scheme is likely to have very detrimental consequences for some migrants living in the UK. In fact, they would be risking being classed as an illegal migrant, lose the right to live and work in the UK and potentially face detention and removal.
Who is most at risk?
Several factor may result people not successfully applying for the EU Settlement Scheme.
- Being aware! Awareness of EUSS and an understanding of it should not be presumed. Some people may be in the dark about its existence.
- Vulnerable people (including those in poverty, victims of modern slavery, of domestic abuse, and homeless people/rough sleepers) will be much less likely to apply due to having their options reduced, not having access to the right documents or a computer or simply not being allowed.
- Technical difficulties – some may struggle using the application process for many reasons, including:
○ being unable to read the application (language or literacy barriers)
○ mental and physical health problems and disabilities
○ low digital literacy
- No evidence! Many EU citizens may lack the proper evidence to prove their eligibility for EUSS, and the greatest risk will be faced by those who lack evidence of both residence and economic activity. It is more common than people think that people are without the correct documentation, through no fault of their own.
We are here to help!
If you or anyone you know is yet to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme but needs to do so, get in contact with us. We can guide you every step of the way to ensure you and your loved ones do not face prosecution.
Call us on 020 7928 0276 or email email@example.com and we will give you the peace of mind and security you deserve.