The Health and Care Worker visa allows medical professionals to work in the UK in an eligible job within the NHS, for an NHS supplier, or in adult social care. We have covered the Health and Care Worker Visa in more detail in a recent article specifically about the visa. Click here to read.


However, in this article, we have highlighted some of the most common questions we receive in relation to Health and Care Worker visa applications. If you have any further questions about this visa, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today.


1. Q: Can I take on additional work or a second job?


A: Yes, you are. In February 2023, the Home Office removed the 20-hour cap on supplementary work for sponsored workers with a Health and Care Visa. Health and Care Visa holders are now permitted to take on a second, or additional, work or employment while in the UK, provided they continue to work in their sponsored role for their sponsor. If the worker already possesses a Health and Care visa, they will not be required to file for a visa change or notify the Home Office.


2. Q: Are care workers eligible for the Health & Care visa?


A: It depends. Only workers employed in eligible roles are eligible for the Health and Care visa. Carers were added to the Shortage Occupation List in February 2022, but this status remains subject to government review and change.


3. Q: Can I combine other visas to apply for settlement in the UK via a five-year route?


A: Health and care workers may be eligible to apply for ILR if they have lived in the UK for five years under this visa or in combination with other permitted work visa categories. You will be able to include time spent with lawful status under any combination of the following visas:

  • Any Tier 1 visa – except Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)
  • Skilled Worker or Tier 2 (General)
  • Health and Care
  • Scale-up Worker
  • T2 Minister of Religion or Tier 2 (Minister of Religion)
  • International Sportsperson, T2 Sportsperson or Tier 2 (Sportsperson)
  • Innovator
  • Global Talent
  • Representative of an Overseas Business


4. Q: Do my dependants need to pay Immigration Health Surcharge?


A: No, Health and care workers and their dependants are all exempt from the UK Immigration Health Surcharge.


5. Q: How could I know if my salary meets the requirements?


A: The standard salary requirement for this visa is at least £26,200 per year or £10.75 per hour. If the ‘going rate’ for your job is higher than both of these, you’ll usually need to be paid at least the going rate. You can check the specific salary requirement for your job by checking your occupation code.


6. Q: How can I know if my employer is a UK approved employer for this visa?


A: The NHS, organisations providing medical services to the NHS, and organisations providing adult social care are usually approved UK health and care sector employers.

If your employer is not currently approved, they can apply for a sponsor licence if they’re eligible.


Have questions? Get in touch today!


Call us on 020 7928 0276, phone calls are operating as usual and will be taking calls from 9:30am to 6:00pm.


Email us on


Use the Ask Lisa function on our website. Simply enter your details and leave a message, we will get right back to you:


For more updates, follow us on our social media platforms! You can find them all on our Linktree right here.

Join the Conversation


  1. к чему снятся много кошек в доме, к чему снится кошка женщине:
    замужней постоянная скорость света ставить чайник во
    сне к чему снится укус ядовитого
    паука цыганские карты как гадать

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *