From the very beginning of 2021 the more tangible effects of Brexit will be felt, especially for people entering the UK from abroad. This blog will focus on what EEA nationals will need to bear in mind when entering the UK for short trips in the New Year.
If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
Nothing changes for Irish citizens as they will continue to be able to enter and live in the UK as they do now.
EU, EEA and Swiss citizens will continue to be able to travel to the UK for holidays or short trips without needing a visa. They will be able to cross the UK border using a valid passport.
They will not be able to use their EEA or Swiss national ID card to enter the UK from 1 October 2021.
However, EEA nationals can continue to use their national ID card to enter the UK until at least 31 December 2025 if they:
- have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
- have a frontier worker permit
- are an S2 Healthcare Visitor
- are a Swiss Service Provider
Travellers must have the correct documents to show at the UK border if they are travelling to the UK from 1 January 2021. They will not be able to use any documents to enter the UK that are not listed in the above.
You can use automatic eGates at some airports if you have a biometric symbol on the cover of your passport and you are 12 or over. Using the eGates is usually faster.
Controls on cash
Individuals travelling from the EU to the UK with £10,000 or more in cash will need to make a declaration.
- notes and coins
- bankers’ drafts
- travellers’ cheques
- cheques (including travellers’ cheques) that are signed but not made out to a person or organisation
If you are travelling as a family you need to declare cash over €10,000.
Healthcare and Insurance
If you are visiting the UK make sure you:
- bring your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you
- have travel insurance that covers the duration of your trip – an EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance because it does not cover everything
Have questions? We are here for you!
Or, why not download our free app today? You can launch a new enquiry, scan over documents and much more.
If you have an iPhone, follow this link to download.
If you use an Android phone, follow this link to download.
Find the link here if you need some further instructions on how to use our new app!