The deadline to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme is 30 June 2021, meaning there is now officially less than 6 months until time is up. It is of paramount importance that those who need to apply do so in good time.


Who needs to apply?


The EU settlement scheme is designed to offer EU, non-EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members living in the UK the opportunity to protect their residence in the UK. Those who do not apply will face very serious consequences and their right to remain in the UK will come under considerable question.


It should be noted that this also applies to many EEA nationals and their family members who have been living in the UK for many years and taken it for granted that they will continue to be allowed to live here, even without going through the settlement applications.


This is completely wrong and dangerous. Under the current rules, all eligible EEA nationals and their family members will have to apply again under the settlement scheme, even if they have acquired permanent residence under the previous EEA law; otherwise, they will have to leave the UK after 30th June 2021.


Do not miss out, join the crowd!


The latest official statistics show that up to 31 December 2020 there had been almost 4.9 million applications to the EU Settlement Scheme. December alone saw nearly half a million people apply to the scheme.


6 months may feel like a long time now, but is it really worth leaving it any longer? It is far better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to such a vital issue.


A reminder regarding family


Family is an important factor in the EU Settlement Scheme, and for some their family will define whether or not they are eligible for the scheme at all. If you are not an EEA or Swiss national yourself, you will need to rely on a certain family relationship with such national to qualify.


The Home Office allows for such family members to apply on the basis of a qualifying relative:


  • spouse


  • civil partner


  • durable partner (unmarried partner whose relationship is akin to marriage or civil partnership, and the applicant holds a relevant document in this capacity)


  • child under 21 of the EEA citizen or of the spouse or civil partner


  • dependent child over 21 of the EEA citizen or of the spouse or civil partner


  • dependent parent of the EEA citizen or of the spouse or civil partner


  • dependent relative of the EEA citizen or, in some cases, of the spouse or civil partner (and the applicant holds a relevant document in this capacity.)



Preparing the right documentation


It is important that applicants prepare the correct documentation when applying. This includes:


  • an identity document – your passport, national identity card, biometric residence card or permit


  • a digital photo – you can take a selfie during the application


  • your National Insurance number or proof of how long you have lived in the UK


  • a mobile phone number


  • an email address


  • proof of your relationship if you are applying for a child or another family member


  • evidence the relevant EEA national is exercising his/her EEA treaty rights


If the applicant’s child is an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, a birth or adoption certificate will be needed to prove their relationship.


If the child is from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland, their biometric residence card is to be used to prove their identity.



We are here to help!


If you or anyone you know is yet to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme but needs to do so, get in contact with us. We can guide you every step of the way to ensure you and your loved ones do not face prosecution.


Call us on 020 7928 0276 or email and we will give you the peace of mind and security you deserve.



Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *